Saturday, March 21, 2009

Saint Amy

For the last year, I have been living with a rock in my foot, well, a fatty tumor to be exact.  So we decided that it was finally time for that little pain to come out as it has gotten to the point where I can't walk barefoot.  That is not so fun with summer coming up.  So on Friday, March 13 I went in for the out-patient surgery.  I am on crutches with no weight on the foot for 3 weeks (in bed for the first week), and no physical activity for 6 weeks.  It makes having two young boys to care for just a bit challenging.  Oh, and did I mention that this is the busiest time of year for Paul.  Here I am right after being released...still a little happy from the good drugs.

This was my view for the first week.
Oh how I despise these.  I planned on not having use of my foot, but didn't think that I can't use my arms either since I need them for the crutches.
In step Saint Amy.  My best friend from Texas that used her spring break (she is a professor at UT in the nursing department) to come care for me and my boys.  She washed dishes, did laundry, washed and dressed the boys, swept, made beds and played nurse maid to me.  She was pretty much an indentured servant for 5 days, and she said she had fun.   We paid her with white wine and sushi.  Yes, I know Jake is standing on the counter.
Thank you Amy for your years of friendship and memories.  Despite the miles, you are always there when I need you.  My boys miss Aunt Amy (as Adam will tell you her name isn't just Amy) and ask for you daily, and Paul and I will forever be grateful.  I look forward to returning the favor someday.  Oh, and thank you, too, Craig, for lending your amazing wife to us for a few days.

8 comments:

Megan said...

Great friends are just so cool! I am glad you had her. How are you feeling now? I bet the boys like the extra attention for those days. Get better!

Anonymous said...

What a blessing to have a friend like that! I'll be praying for your speedy recovery! :)

Jason Phillips, MD, FACP said...

It's my turn next!! (although I will get Saint Pat first who, if you can believe it, is even more saintly than St. Amy) The whole ordeal sounded quite nasty (and I saw pictures). Hope it's waaay better now!

J.J. Killins said...

OH wow. that is so awesome. you are one lucky gal to have her. miss you. hope you're feeling better.

Anonymous said...

I'm the lucky one :) Love you, Sara and love your boys, too! Thanks for such a wonderful trip!

Cathy Bolander said...

I'm so glad it's over & you had such a great friend to help you out. Please let me know how I can help.

The Lindleys said...

Sara, I sure hope you are feeling better. What a blessing to have Amy there to help you out - what a true friend!! :) Let us know if there is anything we can do from Texas! Hugs to you!!!!!!!

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

I had no idea you had surgery!!! Are you mobile, yet? I'm going out of town for the weekend, but can bring you guys dinner next week!